Safe Override Practices
• Always announce before changing lanes.
• When passing another vehicle, make sure the road is clear of traffic before changing lanes.
• Pass vehicles only by changing lanes to the left.
• Do not try to change lanes in a hurry.
• Avoid drawing attention when changing lanes or passing and pay full attention to traffic and road conditions.
• If you have to cross multiple lanes, do it one at a time and check carefully before each lane change.
Abu Dhabi police have previously shared clips showing the dangers of lane swerving and outlining penalties for motorists. If the lane deviation leads to an accident, motorists will be fined Dh1,000 and given four black traffic points. The vehicle has also been impounded and Dh5,000 must be paid within three months to release the impoundment of the vehicle.
These penalties for lane change violations are outlined in the Traffic Law No. 5 of 2020 regarding impounding of vehicles in Abu Dhabi.