New Delhi: If you have Aadhaar or PAN card but have not linked it yet, this is news for you. To avoid being fined Rs 1,000 by the government, you must link your PAN and Aadhaar by June 30. The Central Board of Direct Taxes, or CBDT, has extended the deadline for Pan-Aadhaar linking till March 31, 2023. Failure to do so will result in a penalty. A fine of Rs 500 shall be paid “if such information is furnished within three months from the date mentioned in the sub-section” or by June 30, 2022. Following that, a fine of Rs 1,000 is required to link Aadhaar and PAN.
“In accordance with the provisions of sub-section (2) of 139AA, every person who fails to do so within the date required to communicate his Aadhaar number to the prescribed authority in the prescribed form and manner shall, at the time of subsequent communication of his Aadhaar number to the prescribed authority, by way of a fee,— (a) five hundred shall be liable to pay an amount equal to rupees within three months from the date referred to in sub-section (2) of section 139AA within a period of three months from the date on which the notice is given; and (b) one thousand rupees, in all other cases,” says the latest CBDT order.
As per the government directive, if you link your PAN Aadhaar promptly, you will have to pay a fine of Rs 500, which is considerably less than the fine if you miss the June 30 deadline. From July 1, the Income Tax agency will charge you Rs 1,000 for linking your PAN and Aadhaar. If you do not link your Aadhaar PAN by March 31, 2023, your PAN will be deactivated with serious consequences.
To link your Aadhaar PAN online, follow these steps:
- Visit the official Income Tax e-filing website at www.incometax.gov.in.
- If you haven’t already, create an account with your PAN as your user ID and set a password. Log in to the Income Tax Portal using your login information.
- You will see a pop-up window appear. Otherwise, navigate to profile settings from menu bar and select ‘Link Aadhaar’ option.
- A new window will appear. On the new screen, enter your PAN number, Aadhaar details, name and mobile number in the fields provided.
- After validating the information, select the option ‘I agree to validate my Aadhaar details’. Then click on ‘Continue’ button.
- A One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered mobile number. Fill in the blanks on the screen and press the ‘Validate’ button. After you pay the fine, your Pan-Aadhaar link will be completed.